Monday, September 14, 2009

Term Project

Hi Dr. Chong and class,

I have been thinking about what to do and I thought I would want to analyse a 20th/21st Century work of a band composer - I've not done any in-depth analysis before and I think I would find it more meaningful for me to work on something that I'm interested in.

I'd want to analyse works by Satoshi Yagisawa, a composer I mentioned to you before. I've also given you a copy of one of his band score to take a look because I'm not too sure if its feasible for this term project. And after the "Indonesian Music" lesson last Friday, something else came to my mind which I thought may be feasible also - a piece called "Extreme Makeover" by Johan de Meij. This piece infuses Gamelan music with themes by Tchaikovsky, not too sure if you've heard of it, and again, I'm also not very sure if it's relevant for this term project. He also used bottle-blowing to imitate the Gamelan theme in one of the sections. This is a recording of it,

http://www.imeem.com/people/SgRQ6bz/music/fkJtqLdo/johan-de-meij-extreme-makeover/

1 comment:

ec said...

Benji, "Extreme Makeover" sounds like a great piece to study, certainly fit very well with our focus on East-West confluences--you can take the opportunity to explore both Tchaikovsky and Gamelan music. But if you prefer "Soaring over the Ridges", that would be fine too.

Why don't you do some preliminary analysis and see which one appeals to you more.